Tuesday, August 5, 2008

VIEJO PERO CON ENERGIA



Man, 80, reprimanded for escalator run
FARNHAM, England (UPI) -- An 80-year-old former Olympic hurdler said a Farnham, England, store has threatened to ban him if he is caught running up a down escalator again.

Peter Hildreth, who represented Britain at the Olympics in 1952, 1956 and 1960, said he used to train for his sport by running up the wrong escalators, and decided to try out his old training regime as his 80th birthday approached, The Daily Mail reported.

"I started doing it last month because I was turning 80. People did not see me do it to start with, I must have done it three or four times," he said.

Hildreth said he was finally caught by the head of the women's underwear department at the top of the escalator and was given a stern talking-to by store manager Graham Duerden, who said the elderly man was violating health and safety rules and setting a bad example for young people.

The former athlete said he has had his fill of his old pastime.

"I am not going to do it anymore," Hildreth said. "My wife will be annoyed about me doing it, she does not know until now."

Copyright 2008 by United Press International

No comments: