Thursday, August 27, 2009

Overdue book back after 31 years

ARLINGTON, Va. (UPI) -- A Virginia library said a woman has returned a book she checked out more than 30 years ago.

Peter Golkin, a spokesman for the Arlington Central Library, said "The Patriot Chiefs" by Alvin Josephy was checked out March 16, 1978, and returned last Tuesday with a $25 check and a letter of apology, The Washington Post reported Monday.

"It's always great to get the books back, as opposed to any kind of income from fines or replacement fees," Golkin said.

Sarah McKee, 70, said she borrowed the book from the library so long ago that she had forgotten the book was not hers.

"To my great embarrassment," her note read, "I recently opened this book and discovered it is yours -- not mine. My apologies for my tardiness."

McKee, who now lives in Amherst, Mass., blamed the mistake on her poor memory.

"I never would have schlepped it around all these years had I not thought it was mine," she said.

Copyright 2009 by United Press International

No comments: