Monday, June 9, 2008

YETI SCALP SAID TO BE 100 YEARS OLD



Artist Claims Yeti Scalp in Himalayas
OAKER, England (UPI) -- A British artist claims a sketch she made of a legendary yeti was based on alleged witness accounts and a scalp she saw at a Bhutan monastery in the Himalayas. Polyanna Pickering said a monk old her the scalp, which is kept in a part of the monastery that is closed to visitors, is 100 years old and came from the mythical primate, The Daily Telegraph reported Monday. "I was told this was from a Migoi -- their name for the yeti. All I know is, it was bigger than any human or ape scalp I have ever seen," Pickering said. "It had tufts of reddish-black fur coming out of it and was mounted on a pole and seen as a holy relic." Pickering said she sketched the item and expanded on it after speaking with villagers. "I was amazed when they told me of regular sightings, close encounters and even tales of people being carried off by the Migoi," she said. "Their descriptions were so detailed, I ended up doing this 'photo-fit' with them all sitting round telling me to alter this or how that should look." Pickering's sketches will be displayed at her Oaker, England, gallery June 9.


Copyright 2008 by United Press International

No comments: